2023 GREEK NUMISMATIC PROGRAM
- January 22, 2023
With the Berlin World Money Fair on the horizon, the Greek Mint has unveiled the outline of its 2023 numismatic program and the first visuals of the 2023 Greek coins.
Maria CALLAS, a famous Greek opera singer, will be featured on a commemorative €2 coin. 6,000 BU coincards and 3,000 proof coins will be issued. A commemorative €200 gold coin for collectors dedicated to the artist will also be issued in a total of 750 coins. It will be sold at a retail price of €800 and will be hard to get for collectors…These two coins commemorate the centenary of the artist’s birth. The other 2€ commemorative coin will be dedicated to the Greek mathematician Constantine Carathéodory. 3,000 BU coincards and 1,500 coins in proof condition will be issued.
The other announced themes are the following:
- The Battle of KARPENISI, during the Greek Revolution – 5€ silver (mintage: 5 000 coins)
- Athens and the Polytechnic University – 6€ silver (mintage: 2 000 coins)
- Karl NORMANN, former general of Napoleon’s Grand Army then foreign volunteer in the service of the Greek revolutionaries in 1822 – 10€ silver (issue: 2 000 coins)
- The defender of human rights Antonis Samarakis – 20 years of his disappearance – 6€ silver (issue: 1 000 coins)
- Euclid’s theorem – 10€ silver (circulation: 1 500 coins)
- the automaton of the waitress of Philo – 10€ silver (edition: 2 000 coins)
- Antiquity with coins dedicated to the goddess Artemis (100€ gold, mintage: 1,200 coins), to the sacred island of Delos (50€ gold, mintage: 1,500 coins) and to the historical city of Eleusis (6€ silver, mintage: 2,000 coins)
- The Greek endemic plant: Fritillaria Davisii – 5€ silver (mintage: 5 000 pieces)
- BU tourism set: NAFPLIO (circulation: 7,500 sets)
Markos Kontaxopoulos, Greek Mint CEO
Sources: Greek Mint and NUMISMAG