2022 numismatic program from Belgium
- March 31, 2022
In 2020 and 2021, the RMB did not issue any circulation coins (5cent to 2€ face value coins, as Belgium no longer strikes 1 and 2 cent coins for circulation, for several years).
In 2022, the BRM does not plan to mint bullion coins (gold, silver or platinum coins).
The public contract for the minting of circulation coins for the Royal Belgian Mint has been awarded for a new period of 4 years (2022-2026) to the Netherlands Mint.
The service concession for the destruction of unfit coins, for the benefit and under the supervision of the Royal Belgian Mint, has been awarded to Monea Coin Technology, a company based in Slovakia.
The Belgian Royal Mint has announced today its 2022 numismatic program
- 2€1/2 coin 100 years of bird protection in Belgium (cupronickel – 67% copper, 37% zinc) – weight: 10g and diameter: 25,65mm. On the obverse will be a red throat, symbol of the association of associations dedicated to the protection of birds. Mintage: 25 000 coins.
- coin of 2€1/2 – 20 years of the euro (cupronickel – 67% copper, 37% zinc) – weight: 10g and diameter: 25,65mm. On the obverse, symbolization of the euro physical currency. Issuance: 25 000 coins.
- 5€ coin in copper nickel – 70 years of the Marsupilami, (cupronickel – 75% copper, 25% zinc) – weight: 12,67g and diameter: 30mm. On the obverse will be the portrait of the MARSUPILAMI, after a drawing by Franquin. Two versions, one colored and the other with relief (7 500 pieces for each version).
- 10€ coin – 100 years of the monument of the unknown soldier in Brussels – minted in BE quality, weight: 18,75g and diameter: 33mm – silver 925/1000. On the obverse will be engraved a view of the monument to the dead of Brussels. Mintage: 5 000 coins.
- 20€ coin – 150 years of the creation of the “redstar line”, minted in BE quality, weight: 22,85g and diameter: 37mm – silver 925/1000. On the obverse will be a logo of the shipping company REDSTAR. Mintage: 2 500 coins.
- 12,5€ coin – Royal greenhouses of LAEKEN – minted in BE quality, gold 999/1000, weight: 1,25g and diameter: 14mm. On the obverse side will appear a symbolization of the royal claws of LAEKEN. Mintage: 2 500 coins.
The new numismatic sets
- Proof Annual Set – 500 pieces (release date October 2021)
- Berlin coin fair BU set “Waffles” – 500 sets (sold out at the Royal Mint – issued in February)
- Set Benelux 2022 – 5,000 sets (release August 2022)
- Annual BU Set “Big Cities – GHENT” – 7 500 sets (release June 2022)
The €2 commemorative coins are confirmed as to subject and mintages
- 2€ “For care during COVID19” – mintage: 150,000 BU in coincards and 5,000 proof (release in May 2022)
- 2€ ERASMUS Program – Drawings: 100,000 BU in coincards and 5,000 proof (release in July 2022)
The leaving of Luc LUYCX, engraver of the RMB and “father” of the euro (common side of coins), is planned for year 2022.
The engraver of the RBM, Luc LUYCX
(at the 2022 tribute ceremony of the Belgian government)
Sources: Royal Mint of Belgium and NUMISMAG.